This course is designed to give you the knowledge, practical skills and confidence to safely captain a 19’ to 26’ sailboat with auxiliary power during daylight hours in moderate up to heavy-air conditions. Each student receives a text book (image to the right) full of detailed diagrams and information on every part of the course.
Topics covered include:
- Boat, Rigging and Equipment
- Understanding the Wind and Weather
- Points of Sail
- Tacking, Jibing, Heaving-to and Reefing
- Sail Trim, Shape and Control
- Crew Overboard Procedure and Drills
- Rules of the Road
- Basic Navigation
- Outboard Motor Operation
- Line Handling and Essential Knots
This is a 21 hour course taught over three days. Each day includes 2 hours in the classroom and 5 hours on the water, taught by a US SAILING certified instructor. There is a practical and written test given at the end of the course, and you will receive a US SAILING certification upon graduation.
Click here to sign up with Sail Cape Cod
Tuition $600 per person